A member of The Federation of Family History Societies
St James' Church, Haslingden
St John's Church, Bacup
St Mary's, Church Rawtenstall
Central Methodist Church, Bacup
Central Methodist Church
Waterside, Burnley Road, Bacup

When they first ventured in to Bacup the Wesleyan Methodist Association held its early meetings in a room over a shop occupied by Mr. David Baron in Union Street.

Firstly they used it as a Mission School, then in November 1836 opened it up for public worship. The membership soon outgrew these premises and plans were put in place to build a new church beside the River Irwell on the Burnley Road. The church, which became known as "Waterside", was opened on 25th November 1838 at a cost of £1400. This church served well until becoming to small by the 1880s which was demonstrated by the 50th anniversary celebration having to be held in the Zion School and the Co-operative Hall. A new church building was started at the side of the old one, with the foundation stones being laid in 1897.

The new church was opened in November 1898 at a cost of £5370. The new church was a Free Methodist Church and later by the time of the Methodist Union in 1932 it was a United Methodist. With the closure of Heald Methodist at Weir, Wesley Place, Thorn and Mount Pleasant the congregations amalgamated and the church was renamed Central Methodist.

Date stone Central Methodist Church
Date stone - Waterside Methodist Free Church 1897