A member of The Federation of Family History Societies
St James' Church, Haslingden
St John's Church, Bacup
St Mary's, Church Rawtenstall
Stacksteads Methodisr Church
Stacksteads Methodist Church
Newchurch Road, Stacksteads

Though preachers visited Stacksteads from the early days of Methodism the first regular meetings didn't take place until 1830 when John Greaves was sent from Bacup to meetings at the house of 'Owd Dick Haworth' of Sowclough and subsequently to the house of Widow Bannister at Bottom Row.

The first chapel was built in 1838 on the site which later became Stacksteads Station. The chapel, which cost £600 to build was an upper room with a cottage underneath and continued there until 1851 when the property was sold to the East Lancashire Railway Co. Then for a short while services were held in the Workmens Club until 1852 when a new chapel was built nearer to Tunstead at a cost of £800.

The third chapel had it's foundation stone laid in May 1871 and at a cost of over £7,000 the chapel was opened on 10th October 1872 with £4,900 of the cost raised before the opening, and £500 was raised at the opening service.

After the Great War of 1914-1918 it was thought that a marble tablet was insufficient to honour the men who gave their lives and so a Memorial Hall was built to be used as an Institute and was opened on the 24th January 1925 by Sir Thomas Rowbottom.

After the Union of the three branches of Methodism it was decided to change the name from Stacksteads Wesleyan's to Newchurch Road Methodist and it was re-named again on the 18th March 1939 to "The Samuel Chadwick Church" in memory of the Reverend Samuel Chadwick who was Minister of Stacksteads from 1881 -1883.

On the 5th of May 1952 it was decided to merge church with the Primitive Methodist church of Booth Road and at the formation of the new church the name was changed to Stacksteads Methodist Church and to use the building at Stacksteads with the premises at Booth Road being sold.

During 1955 it was found that the 1872 building was in need of extensive repairs running into to teens of thousands of pounds. On the 27th September 1955 the Trustees passed a motion to close the church and on the 20th December the Trustees decided to put premises up for sale and demolition and to convert the Memorial Hall into a new Church. With much voluntary work the cost of the conversion was kept to just over £2,100 and the Church was opened on 21st June 1958.

By 1971 the church was once more in need of extensive repairs and it was decided to build a completely new Church at Rook Hill Road. This is was built on the lower level/basement of the old church. The church walls were demolished into the basement and filled over and the new building was built on the leveled ground. The new church was opened on the 22nd April 1978.

Click on image to enlarge