A member of The Federation of Family History Societies
St James' Church, Haslingden
St John's Church, Bacup
St Mary's, Church Rawtenstall
Friends Meeting House
The Friends Meeting House (Quakers)
Co-operation Street, Crawshawbooth

The Quakers of Rossendale built their Meeting House at Crawshawbooth in 1728 as a result of the passing of the Tolerance Act, until which time they had to hold their meetings in the open air at Chapel Hill, Rawtenstall. It was at Chapel Hill that the Quakers had their first burial ground, the first burial being that of Mary Heyworth, wife of Abram Heyworth of Chapel Hill on 1-23-1663 (23rd January 1663). This burial ground was used for nearly two hundred years and although the area is not much larger than a small cottage there are a least 135 burials here. When the Meeting House was opend at Crawshawbooth a second burial ground was opened and this continued in use until the early part of the twentieth century.
A copy of the burial register with 453 entries is held at Rawtenstall Library.

Useful Quaker websites

Crawshawbooth Meeting

Quakers in Gt. Britain

Quaker Family History Society