A member of The Federation of Family History Societies
St James' Church, Haslingden
St John's Church, Bacup
St Mary's, Church Rawtenstall
St Michael's Parish Church
St Michael's Parish Church
Burnley Road East, Lumb

The Church and parish of St Michael arose out of the rising population of the parish of Newchurch growing to such an extent that at Newchurch there was insufficient room to cater for their needs.

The Ecclesiastical District of Lumb was constituted on the 25th February 1846 out of the parish of Newchurch and the corner stone of St Michael’s was laid on 29th September 1847 by John Hargreaves Esq. of Blackburn, the donor of the site. The Church was consecrated on 9th December 1848 by the Bishop of Manchester the Rt. Rev. James Prince Lee and the first vicar being the Rev. Ralph Kinder. The Church, which cost approximately £2,000, is of an early Norman style with a central tower which is supported on massive square piers which houses. There is seating accommodation of about 600 seats.

In 1885, with the formation of the parish of St Anne's Edgeside the parish area was reduced and the districts of Brockclough, Hollin and Shawclough became part of the new parish.

By the mid 1980's the church was in dire need of repair, mainly due to the roof suffering from dry rot. To allow the church to stay in use the Rev John Wood took the decision to reduce the space used inside the building and sevices were held in the nave. In 1984 with the departure of Rev. Woods the parish was merge with St Nicholas, Newchurch. With a dwindling congregation and further deterioration to the structcher of the building it was decided to close the church, and the last service was contucted by the Rev. Charles Ellis on Sunday the 9th December 2001.

The Vicars of St Michael's

 Rev. Ralph Kinder1848 -1873 
 Rev. James Wilkie Baron1873-1877 
 Rev. Robert Alexander McKee1877-1882 
 Rev. Francis Hall Locket1882-1909 
 Rev. Charles Edward Little1909-1916 
 Rev. Walter Pearson1916-1926 
 Rev. Theophilus Caleb1926-1933 
 Rev. John Woollen1933-1933Interim Curate
 Rev. Jacob Mort1933-1948 
 Rev. Oscar H Hemming1948-1953 
 Rev. Henry H Tanner1954-1974 
 Rev. Keith Harrison1974-1980 
 Rev. John Wood1980-1984 
 Rev. Alan Trevor Toombs1984-1999Vicar of St Nicholas, Newchurch
 Rev. Charles Ellis1999-2001Vicar of St Nicholas, Newchurch

Parish Registers

The following registers are held at Manchester Diocese Archives, Manchester Central Library, and on microfilm at Rawtenstall Library, Local Studies Department.

Baptisms   1846-1925,  
Burials      1849-1950,  
Marriages  1849-1935

St Michael's Parish Church, Lumb
St Michael's Sanctury and Nave - October 1949
Photograph courtesy of Rawtenstall Library

War Memorial