A member of The Federation of Family History Societies
St James' Church, Haslingden
St John's Church, Bacup
St Mary's, Church Rawtenstall
The United Gospel Mission Hall (Woodlea)
The United Gospel Mission Hall (Woodlea)
Tenterfield Street Waterfoot

The United Gospel Mission has its begins in or about 1886 when the Christian Army Mission was established as a separate religious organisation consisting mainly of working people. They worshiped in various places in the Waterfoot area including , a room over the stables in Townsend Street, the old Waterfoot Liberal Club in King St, the iron structure at Baltic which became vacant when Newchurch Grammar School was built and the Victoria Assembly Rooms. The iron structure (known as "The Tin Mission") was sold to Mount Olivet Baptist Church, Bacup.

As the membership grew it became necessary to find a permanent home. A plot of land was obtained at Tenterfield Street, on or near to the spot where John Wesley preached to "The wild men of Miller Barn" in the mid eighteenth century. The foundation stone for the Mission Hall was laid by Mr R.J.C. Mitchell on the 22nd September 1894. The building, which cost £350 and measures 45ft x 27ft 6ins., was built by Ormerod Ashworth, building contractor of Crawshawbooth and can seat 200 worshipers.

The Mission opened for worship on Sunday 23rd December 1894 when the morning preacher was Rev. R. Heyworth and the afternoon preacher was Rev. J. McCleery of Ramsbottom.

In 1930 the building was extended when, at a cost of £511, a Sunday School annexe was erected at the rear of the Mission Hall. The building is on two levels with each level being divided into two classrooms when required by a sliding wood and glass partition. The new extension was opened by the Mayor of Rawtenstall, Alderman W Hardman on Saturday 15th November.

The Mission is independent of any outside governing body and is maintained by its own members and volunteers with no paid officials.

With a dwindling and ageing congregation, and the ever rising cost of upkeep the Mission final closed it's doors on the 18th July 2010.

Available Registers

A license for conducting marriages was obtained on 21st January 1981 and to date there have been just six marriage ceremonies.

There are no dedicated registers, but the Mission does have a members book dating from 1904. In this book are also recorded any baptisms and marriages which are performed.

The United Gospel Mission Hall (Woodlea)

Presented to
* Woodlea Mission *
By Mrs W. Scott & Mrs J. Fenton
In Memory of their Father & Mother
* James & Susannah Barnes *
January 31. 1937

Click on image to enlarge