A member of The Federation of Family History Societies
St James' Church, Haslingden
St John's Church, Bacup
St Mary's, Church Rawtenstall
Wesleyan Methodist Church, Edenfield
Wesleyan Methodist Church
Market Place, Edenfield

Methodism in and around Edenfield had it's roots in the 1740's when according to local tradition, Paul Greenwood an early Methodist evangelist was preaching at Fecit near Turn village and by 1790 the area was recorded as being part of the Blackburn Curcuit.

By 1794 there was a seperate society meeting at Pinfold in the cottage of John Schofield and services continued there until 1827 when two rooms were rented from John Wallwork in cottages at Bridge Mills and these room served as a chapel and Sunday School until it transfered to the top storey of houses in Market Street.

In 1832 a small chapel was built on a piece of land on Rochdale Road at a cost of £454 19s. This chapel was enlarged in 1857 and by the late 1850s the Sunday School was teaching over 300 pupils. With this growth it was decied to build a new school on a site at the junction of Market Place and Rochdale Road, with the foundation stone being laid on the 12th July 1869 and opening the following year. The corner stone of the chapel itself was laid in May 1876 and it opened two years later with accomodation for nearly 600 people.

The chapel continued until 1959 when it amalgemated with the former Primitive Methodist Church which is further along Rochdale Road. The chapel and Sunday School were demolished in 1960. (Photograph courtesy of Rawtenstall Library)

War Memorial