A member of The Federation of Family History Societies
St James' Church, Haslingden
St John's Church, Bacup
St Mary's, Church Rawtenstall
Gambleside Baptist Chapel

No Picture Available

Gambleside Baptist Chapel held its first meeting on the 25th December 1839 in an old house which was owned by John Howarth, who also loan materials to make up the seating. The pastor of the new chapel was James Maden of Meadowhead Farm, who a few years later would be instrumental in the founding of the Mount Baptist Church at Edgeside.

The congregation of miners and farmers grew rapidly and in 1840 a Sunday School was opened. With a further increase in congregation the Chapel was moved into the Brew House at Gambleside Mansion and a new Chapel was opened in the hamlet in 1849. This building surficed until 1866 when once more larger premises were required and congregation left Gambleside for a new building which had been built on Burnley Road at Clowbridge.